Saturday, May 13, 2006

What the?!

I was recently reading an article by a leader in my current denomination. The article was about the importance of tithing & budgeting as a church, not just as individuals. Along with the usual crap about God blessing people in a twisted a quid pro quo theological system--you know, the more you give, the more He'll bless--was this little gem of advice:

"When you break it down, our budgets should look something like this:
10 percent of your budget should be given to benevolence, missions, or outreach.
10 percent should go to your savings account...
20 percent should go toward ministries -- children, youth, worship, men’s, women’s, etc.
35 percent of our budgets should be designated to our salaries.
25 percent of our budgets should be designated for building and operation costs."

So 60% of a church's budget should pay professionals to do what we should all be doing (ministry) and to pay for a nice place to meet. That is why we have decided not to do the typical church thing. Our 2005 budget looked like this:
  • 56% - Benevolence: locally & globally (tsunami & hurricane aid)
  • 23% - Group functions: meals, art supplies, etc.
  • 15% - Operating costs: website, corporation fees, software, etc.
  • 6% - Miscellaneous expenses & savings

I like to know that I am a part of a community that spends the most amount of the money being offered each week on helping others in need. I think that is a much better use of our resources, and a much more scriptural practice. Personally, I'm not satisfied with only 54% of our money being spent on others, I'd like to see that figure be much higher. Can you imagine what the world would be like if the church as a whole got it's budgeting in line with the heart of God? What if our benevolence budget was given the priority & percentage that our building and salary budgets? What if sold our multi-million dollar auditoriums and sanctuaries and gave that money to the poor? I seem to remember Jesus recommending something like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While that sounds good, it would never work today. Empires are being built, more salaried people = better church. Got to have the best and biggest building to show off. NOT....I think that there will be many of us that have to answer the, "why did you build that big building and pay everyone to run the operation" questions!
If one gets paid to do the Lord's work, then what does one gain from it and what will God think about that? I would not ever take pay for church work...even if I were the preacher! I know I dont do enough, but I do something and I can feel good doing it for no pay.